It’s done! Our master bedroom refresh is complete, as part of the New Year New Room Challenge hosted by Stephanie from Casa Watkins Living. Friends, let this be a great example of small changes making a big impact! I didn’t change a lot. But it was enough to give an entirely different feeling to the space. I love that about interior design! You truly feel something when you walk into a well designed space! To remind you, this was our bedroom before:
It was lovely, but it was very formal, fussy, and ultra feminine. It felt a little stale to me. No true personality. No warmth. I wanted a change from the matching look of the mirrored nightstands. The shag rug wasn’t doing it for me anymore. So my goal was to bring in some wood, some gold, and some vintage pieces to introduce some personality.
And here’s the after! Sink your teeth into these photos, and we’ll talk about it next…
A BEFORE of the mural wall:
Here’s what’s new:
- The nightstands! These are from Home Depot, and I LOVE the added warmth that the wood brings into the space. The gold hardware and legs still give the touch of glam I love!
- The rug! It’s the Circe rug from Mohawk and it is the dreamiest rug ever! It’s incredibly soft under foot, has subtle distressing for a vintage vibe, and the chocolate colors are just so cozy.
- The chairs! Oh my, those chairs. Beautiful, aren’t they? And oh-so-comfy and soft! They’re also from Home Depot. I know, I’ve got four kids and a dog and I went with ivory chairs. But we won’t be eating spaghetti up here, promise;) It’s fine.
- The mural! It’s just what this room needed. A gorgeous landscape scene to bring the outdoors in. You can get details on it HERE.
- The mirrors, lamps, leather bench, and faux olive tree I pulled from other areas of my home.
- THE WINDOWS! You guys, this is my favorite part of this entire makeover! I painted the window panes black using Frogtape® and leftover Tricorn Black paint from my kitchen cabinets, and it brought such a level of sophistication! I’ll be bringing you a separate blog post on this soon! And to top it off, new drapes and rod from Home Depot. These drapes are a buttery, heavy velvet, and I love the airy feeling they bring.
What stayed the same?
There are a few things I talked about changing that didn’t end up happening…
- The chandelier. It’s a beautiful light fixture and technically works “ok” in here. I simply didn’t end up changing it because I couldn’t make my mind up in time. Lol. I still plan on doing so. While it’s lovely, it suits the more formal look that I’m moving away from. And while it’s completely ok to mix metals, I prefer gold to silver in this room.
- The door leading to the bathroom. I had a very a cool one picked out, but unfortunately it wasn’t going to arrive until March, so I put a hold on that for now.
- The bedding. We actually just got this new bedding this past fall and I LOVE it, so I didn’t want to change it. I simply added extra pillows from around the house to mix it up a bit. I like the mix of whites, ivorys, and light putty greys.
- The carpet stains. Lol. If you’ve been following along on Instagram stories, you know that the previous chair legs left awful hot pink stains on the carpet! I tried everything to get them out. Everything. Had to photoshop the stains out of these photos, guys. I’m telling you this because I know so many of you were so kindly invested in this issue I had! Lol! Thank you so much for your suggestions! I came very close to buying a sheepskin rug to layer by the chairs, but just didn’t make it happen. At this point, I’m really hoping for new carpet on our 2020 “to do” list!
Well, friends. There you have it! Please check out all of the other reveals today from the awesome group of people below! So much inspiration… I’m really excited to check them out!
Casa Watkins Living // The Boho Abode // Delineate Your Dwelling // Haneen’s Haven // The Happy Housie // Homemade by Carmona // House by Hoff // Jeweled Interiors // Kaleidoscope Living // Our Fifth House // PMQ for 2 // Rain on a Tin Roof // Southern State of Mind // Taryn Whiteaker // This is Our Bliss // Thou Swell // Up To Date Interiors
Thank you so much to these sponsors…
Shop this post…
Have a question for me? Leave it in the comments, below!